Let us simplify the complexities of immigration law.

photo of Fok Immigration Law Staff and Attorneys

P-3 Visa: For Skilled Artists And Entertainers

The P-3 visa classification applies to you if you are coming temporarily to the United States to perform, teach or coach as artists or entertainers, individually or as part of a group, under a program that is culturally unique.

For a P-3 visa, you must be coming to the United States either individually or as a group for the purpose of developing, interpreting, representing, coaching, or teaching a unique or traditional ethnic, folk, cultural, musical, theatrical, or artistic performance or presentation. In addition, you must be coming to the United States to participate in a cultural event or events which will further the understanding or development of your art form. The program may be of a commercial or noncommercial nature.

Common Questions And Answers About P-3 Visas

What documents do I need for a P-3 to prove “cultural uniqueness”?

To demonstrate the group and the event is culturally unique, you must provide:

  • An explanation of the event and itinerary
  • Affidavits, testimonials or letters from recognized experts attesting to the authenticity of you or your group’s skills in performing, presenting, coaching or teaching the unique and traditional art forms and giving the credentials of the expert, including the basis of his or her knowledge of you or your group’s skills; or documentation that you or your group’s performance is culturally unique as evidenced by reviews in newspapers, journals or other published materials.
  • Documentation that all of the performances or presentations will be culturally unique events such as brochures, advertisements, website, etc. that describe the event.

How long can I stay on a P-3 visa/status?

Initial P-3 visas are approved for the time needed to complete the event, activity or performance, not to exceed 1-year. In addition, P-3 visas can be extended for increments of up to 1 year for as long as the event(s) are expected to last.

Can my spouse and children come with me on P-3?

Yes, your spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 may obtain P-4 status. Your dependents may not engage in employment, but they may attend school or college.

Are my spouse and children able to work while on P-4 status (dependent of a P-3)?

No. There is currently no facility for employment authorization for a P-4 dependent.

Can support personnel who are not performers come with my P-3 group as well?

Yes, essential support personnel who are an integral part of the performance of a P- 3 artist or entertainer and who perform support services that cannot be readily performed by a U.S. worker, are eligible for P-3 classification. Support personnel may include coaches, scouts, trainers and other team officials and referees.

Schedule A Free Case Evaluation

If you need help securing a work visa, call Fok Immigration Law at 408-606-8911 to discuss your options with an experienced business immigration attorney. You can also contact us online. Based in San Jose, we serve clients throughout California.