Let us simplify the complexities of immigration law.

photo of Fok Immigration Law Staff and Attorneys

Who can sponsor a family member’s visa?

On Behalf of | Feb 8, 2023 | Family Immigration Visas

It is common for an individual to emigrate to San Jose alone or with immediate family members on a work-based visa. Later, they can work to bring other relatives here on family-based visas.

To get approved for a family-based immigration visa, your relative will need a sponsor. This is a relative already in the U.S. who applies for the visa on the family member’s behalf. To be a sponsor, you must:

  • Be a U.S. citizen or have permanent resident status (known as having a green card)
  • Be at least 21 years old

If you are a citizen, you may sponsor:

  • Your spouse
  • Your child
  • Your parent
  • Your sibling

Permanent residents are allowed to sponsor their spouse or unmarried child only. Keep in mind that U.S. immigration policy does not limit the number of family-based visas it issues for immediate relatives each year. The law defines “immediate relative” fairly narrowly. The number of visas available for more distant relatives is limited each year. Thus, it can be easier to bring over your spouse, children or parents than, for example, your sibling or grandparent. However, obtaining a family visa for non-immediate relatives is still possible in many cases.

For most people, family comes first. Like most immigrants, you likely came to this country seeking a better life for yourself and your loved ones. Naturally, you want your family to be together. The visa application process can be complicated. Working with an immigration attorney can help you avoid mistakes and delays, and improve your chances of success.